Minggu, 09 Desember 2007

Battling stress, Japanese princess turns 44 (AFP)

TOKYO (AFP) - Japanese crown princess Masako said Sunday in a 44th birthday message that she was trying to take on more public duties as she battles to overcome a stress disorder.

Masako, a former diplomat educated in the United States and Britain, has been fighting stress as she tries to fit in with the worlds oldest monarchy, and had made few public appearances in recent years.

The scope of her outings has expanded in the past year but she has not yet returned to ritual ceremonies at the palace sanctuary.

In her message, she voiced appreciation for the medical and psychological help she has received from her family and the public.

"I want to reiterate my thanks to the Japanese people for their concerns and show of their warm feeling," she said.

"I am sorry that I cannot fully return to my public duty. I have worked to regain my health under instruction of physicians and I am now able to carry out wider range of activities, and for that, I am extremely thankful."

Masako left a promising career to marry into the monarchy in 1993 when she wed Crown Price Naruhito,

She has made few public appearances since 2003 as she suffers from what the palace calls "adjustment disorder."

In the message, she also discussed the joy of motherhood and appreciation for the work of the prince.

 
eXTReMe Tracker